There are many health benefits to working outside. Here are just a few reasons why:
- A 15 to 30 minute workout in the sunshine also provides your daily dose of vitamin D. Take advantage of the spring sunshine and get in your daily requirements.
- Get a better workout in less time. Studies have shown that people tend to work harder during outdoor workouts. And they also enjoy themselves more!
- Outdoor exercise relieves anxiety and stress. Studies show that “green exercise” enhances mood and boosts self esteem, even more than indoor workouts.
Here are some simple tips to help you get started for an outdoor workout:
- Get some portable equipment. Put a few sets of dumbbells, a couple kettlebells, a yoga mat, a jump rope, and resistance bands in the trunk of the car. WFCC offers members a fitness kit that you can use anywhere!
- Familiarize yourself with bodyweight exercises. These include push ups, pull ups, chin ups, squats, lunges, crunches, and planks.
- Plan your workout before you leave. Write out your workout goals and how much time you want to spend exercising so you have a structure to follow once you get outside.
With a little creativity, you’ll find that outdoor exercise is extremely open-ended. Just having a large, natural space to move naturally is so liberating, and if there’s also a nearby park you can do some upper body work on the playground equipment.
It is important to note that not all exercises are suitable for everyone. Before attempting a new exercise take into account factors such as flexibility, strength, and overall health to determine whether or not a particular exercise is appropriate for you. Connect with one of our Personal Trainers for some advice!