Spring Tabouli Salad
Here’s a simple, yet tasty recipe for Quinoa Asparagus Salad (aka Spring Tabouli) tossed with English peas, fresh dill, parsley, toasted almonds in a lemony dressing topped with optional avocado, goat or feta cheese. Yummy!!
A healthy, flavorful salad that can be made ahead and is perfect for special gatherings or midweek lunches!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup quinoa (dry)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Pinch salt
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups shelled fresh English peas ( available at Trader Joes) or substitute shelled edamame, radishes, cucumber, snow peas or even spring greens.
- 3 scallions – thinly sliced at a diagonal
- ½ cup fresh dill ( 2 x .5 ounces packages) chopped ( or sub Italian parsley)
- ½ cup Italian parsley, more to taste.
- 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted ( optional, or sub other nut or seed)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice ( 1–2 lemons)
- 1/2–1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pepper to taste
Optional garnishes- crumbled goat cheese or feta, sliced avocado, sunflower sprouts or pea shoots, flower petals- chive blossoms are nice.
Here’s what you do:
- Rinse the quinoa and place it in a pot with the water and pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat, and allow it to simmer on low heat for 12-15 minutes. Turn off heat, and let sit covered for 5 -10 minutes, then uncover, fluff with a fork and let it cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, blanch the peas and asparagus in salted boiling water for just a few minutes, until bright and tender. Rinse under cold water.
- Place the cooled quinoa and blanched veggies in a bowl. Add the scallions, dill and almonds and give a toss. Add the oil, lemon zest and lemon juice and salt, pepper and stir again.
- Taste, adjust salt and lemon, adding more if you like.
- If you are making this ahead, be sure to taste before serving as flavors will mellow – so you might want to add a little more salt and lemon.
- Serve with optional avocado, feta, goat cheese, sunflower sprouts.