It’s that time again: our fantastic personal trainer Jana McDermid from our Pickering club teaches you the proper form for an important exercise! To book a session with Jana or any of our other personal trainers, call our Pickering location or fill out our online form.
Toning your triceps — the muscles that run on the backside of your upper arm from your shoulder to your elbow — is one way to really help prep your arms for tank tops. Triceps Dips are a great, basic exercise for working your triceps.
Here’s how you do them:
- Position your hands shoulder width apart on a secured bench or stable chair.
- Keep the shoulders down and away from the ears to protect them from injury.
- Move your bum in front of the bench with your legs bent and feet placed about hip width apart on the floor.
- Straighten out your arms and keep a little bend in your elbows in order to always keep tension on your triceps and off your elbow joints.
- Keep the hips close to the bench or chair to keep the focus on the triceps and not the shoulders.
- Now slowly bend at your elbows and lower your upper body down towards the floor until your arms are at about a 90 degree angle. Be sure to keep your back close to the bench.
- Once you reach the bottom of the movement, slowly press off with your hands, and push yourself straight back up to the starting position.
Tip: Don’t allow your neck to sink and your ears to fall close to your shoulders.