Total Time: Prep: 10 min. • On the table: 30 min • 6 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 fresh hot peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cups cubed sweet potatoes (about 2 sweet potatoes)
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes, juice included
- 1 14-oz can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Yogurt and/or grated cheddar (omit if vegan)
- Sliced or mashed avocado
- Lime wedges
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat and sauté garlic, hot peppers and onion, about 3 minutes.
Add chili powder, red pepper and sweet potato and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, juice and beans, partially cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sweet potato is tender and juices thicken, about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro, and season with salt and pepper. Top with your choice of yogurt, cheese, avocado and lime. Enjoy!
Nutrients per serving: 306 calories, 5 g fat, 12 g protein, 58 g carbs, 16 g fibre. Excellent source of vitamins A and C, folate and iron.